Crop Scout Internship
At Farmers Win Cooperative, Crop Scout Interns are given an opportunity to connect classroom agronomic knowledge to the field first-hand. Throughout the season, you will learn to identify weeds, diseases, and insects affecting crop growth and development. You will gain experience testing soil and plant nutrients, and analyze reports used to make crop input recommendations with an experienced agronomist. You will complete miscellaneous operations work and provide customer service to growers.
The crop scout interns will be based out of our Fredericksburg location.
- Inspect assigned grower fields to identify weeds, insects, diseases, pest and crop population counts, crop and weed staging and other crop diagnostic issues.
- Utilize crop scouting software/weekly reports to document and share observations with partnered field agronomist.
- Keep current on agronomic products, trends, and precision ag technologies.
- Provide support for operations and warehouse staff as needed.
Position Competencies and Qualifications:
- Pursuing an associate’s or bachelor’s degree, preferably in an agricultural related major or program but not required.
- Attentive to detail and able to work without direct supervision.
- Frequently move, lift and carry boxes, tubs, and tools weighing 50-60 lbs., access and utilize farm equipment, and move or traverse on uneven ground.
- Ability to work extended hours during peak busy seasons.
- Possess a valid, unrestricted driver’s license
- Candidates must have valid work authorization and be able to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship.
- Excellent communication, writing and critical thinking skills.
- Manage time and effectively prioritize and implement projects and general work tasks.
- Give and receive feedback, work collaboratively, exhibit effective social and interpersonal communication skills.
- Resourceful and innovative in finding solutions to problems.
- Flexible and adapt to changing business surroundings.